“Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach.” - Aristotle
Associate Teachers assists in the delivery of an infant, toddler program based on the individual and group’s educational, intellectual, physical, social, and emotional potential of the children enrolled. Assist in managing the classroom environment. Assist with preparing and maintaining documentation in compliance with Head Start performance standards and standard operating procedures. Assists in the classroom environment and works with the classroom teaching team to deliver quality education services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In accordance with Head Start performance standards, ACF, licensing and organization guidelines, assists in implementing a preschool or infant/toddler program based on parent input and individual children’s intellectual, physical, social and emotional needs and strengths.
- Assists with daily activities based on children’s needs and interests which stimulate learning in all developmental areas (physical, social, emotional, and intellectual) for a class of 16 children which may involve some children with disabilities.
- Organizes and cleans classroom materials and equipment to provide a safe, supportive age appropriate environment for children. Assists in an annual inventory of existing classroom materials and equipment and future needs.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- 12 ECE Credits required; ECPC Credential Level I required, ECE Courses 111 & 112 required.
Work experience in positions similar or related to this job: 1 to 2 years’ experience working with children age 0-3 or 3-5.
Certificates or licenses: Pediatric first aid, CPR and Universal Precautions certification (as required). Valid driver’s license with evidence of vehicle insurance.
Special professional and/or job-related requirements: Current PPD-TB and physical examination, background check, and compliance with other regulatory requirements as applicable.
Special training or experience: Knowledge of the culture, including food preferences, and conditions inherent within the surrounding community. Training and experience in teaching methods and classroom preparation. Experience in managing and relating to small children in groups and individually, and interacting with parents and others who represent various backgrounds. Experience in observing, assessing, and evaluating, as well documenting situational and behavioral circumstances. Training or experience in working as a functional member of a team.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Interpret/understand basic information received as well as prepares and transmits it. Involves ongoing interaction with other employees, the general public, and children and parents within the community. May involve interaction with persons whose first language is not English.
- Develop, read and understand basic written materials, and compose information/instruction in written form.
- Understand and perform basic mathematical computations.
- Apply basic level analytical skills for assessment and evaluation responsibility.
- Apply basic level problem-solving skills essential in developing solutions for unanticipated issues and challenges.
- Remain calm and calm others in an emergency, stressful and/or confrontational situation.
- Identify conflict and take the steps necessary to resolve the issues or inform those who can.
- Work with other people taking into consideration, among the dynamics, their needs, their personal style, and the requirements of their jobs.
- Understand, and apply basic level organizational theories and practices essential in the development and implementation of policies, practices, programs, and employee communications.
- Demonstrates responsible professional behavior by participating effectively within and across teams.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure the quality of Clayton Educare education programs.
- Conduct activities involving stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching, crawling, twisting, and reaching on a frequent basis and substantial standing and walking , and moderate sitting.
- Supervise children by sight and sound.
- Sit on the floor or crouch at a child’s level. Lift a child weighing up to 50 pounds. Lift, carry, push, and/or pull a burden weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Grasp and manipulate office and art equipment and similar other tools and materials.
- Work with hands above shoulder height with a weight up to 5 pounds.
- Work with arms extended at shoulder height with a weight up to 20 pounds.
- Participate in routine conversation in person or via telephone, and distinguish telephone, radio/pager signals, alarms, and other auditory tones in a noisy environment.
- Distinguish small objects at near and far distances in conditions of bright or low light. Distinguish color and depth, and see objects in a wide field of vision.
- Respond to unanticipated situations involving activities of young children ranging in age from birth to three years of age.
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. I understand I am to become familiar with its contents. If I have any questions regarding this job description, I understand that I should talk to my supervisor.